User-agent: Mediapartners-Google Disallow:

Baja Trip Plan

Þ  Orientation:  I will be using a paper map in addition to the GPS unit.  I recommend all get the same map I will be using.  This can be obtained from:


o   Wide World of Maps SCOTTSDALE STORE

o   7325 East Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard

o   Scottsdale, AZ 85260

o   East of Scottsdale Road in the Promenade

o   International Travel Maps, Baha California (Mexico) Scale 1:650,000, Waterproof.

o   Store Hours:  Monday - Saturday    10:00am - 7:00pm, Sunday    CLOSED. 480) 212-0591


Þ  Situation:  Mexico is not always the best of places to be.  The Baja is generally safe and welcomes tourists such as ourselves: 


o   Issues:  Most of the problems with tourists, drug trafficking etc take place near the border towns.  Albeit we will be traveling alone, we are still a group and not likely to encounter any issues.


o   Friendly’s:  Mike is working with our sister club in Rocky Point and it is expected that some will participate with us on the expedition.


o   Attachments:  Non-organic units attached will be from our 'sister' organization headquartered in Rocky Point, Mexico.  Mike is the point of contact


Þ  MISSION:  JEO will depart Phoenix, enter into Mexico at a predetermined point on the US/MExico border, travel the perimeter in a clockwise formation taking fotos, eating native foods and exploring various locations along the route to return to Phoenix, tan, fit and happy.

o   Who:  JEO


o   What:  JEO Baja Expedition


o   When:  25 April '09 thru 9 May '09


o   Where:  Baja Peninsular of Mexico traveling south on the east coast of Baja to the tip and head north on the west coast cutting across the NE part of Baja and returning to AZ.


o   Why:  Exploration, camping, sightseeing, fun and relaxation


Þ  EXECUTION:  Entry/Exit points:

o   Enter Mexico via Calexico


o   We can get to MEX 5 more easily via Calexico than from the San Luis or Algodones crossings.


o   Return to the U.S. via Tecate:

o   We will be coming up the west coast of Baja and MEX 3 (north) is a direct route from Ensenada to Tecate.

o   The border wait times at Tecate are usually less than at San Ysidro, Calexico or Algodones


Þ  Concept of Operations:  We will travel in a typical road formation with myself as the lead vehicle, supported by Mike Fissel behind me, then the remainder of the group with Russ Chung as the last vehicle.


Þ  Tasks:  The following tasks will be preformed by the assigned personnel in support of the expedition:


Þ  Recovery and extraction:  

Þ  SavageSun will provide recovery and extraction, jump-starting and general support in the event of a vehicle needs off road assistance.  George, Number 7 will support.


Þ  Individual Tasks:

Þ  Obtain Tourist Visa (also known as Immigration Permit):


o   You will need to obtain a Mexican Tourist Card if staying in Mexico more than 72 hours, or traveling further than the 'Border Zone' (25 kilometers across the border). Anyone traveling into the Interior of Mexico regardless of length of stay.  You can get your Tourist Visa at the border crossing point, or from most cities close to the Mexico/US border. You can also pick up the blank Tourist Card form from a travel agency, airlines, or Mexican Consulate, but you will need to have the Tourist Card stamped by Mexican Immigration officials upon entering Mexico.


o   You can get blank tourist visas in advance of your trip from Mexican consulates in the U.S. and Canada.  You can also get them from the Immigration (Emigracion) Office at border Points of Entry.  Present your proof of citizenship and a completed tourist visa form to the immigration (emigracion) agent for an official stamp before proceeding into Mexico.


Þ  Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit and Insurance:

Þ  Anyone traveling into Sonora or the Interior must get a Vehicle Permit.  When you drive your car into Mexico, the authorities there consider it a temporary importation of that vehicle and they want your promise that you will return the vehicle to the U.S, so you will also sign a second document called a Promise To Return Vehicle.


o   To obtain the Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit, you must have:


o   Valid drivers license.


o   Vehicle's original title or original registration.


Þ  If the vehicle is leased or is not owned by you, you must have a notarized letter from the leasing company and/or registered owner giving you permission to take the vehicle into Mexico.  Be sure it includes the VIN number.  NOTE:  If there is a lien on the vehicle, a letter from the lien-holder authorizing use of the vehicle in Mexico.


Þ  Obtain Vehicle Insurance: 

o   Here you can purchase and print policy online. 






Þ  Mexican Consulate Phoenix, AZ 1990 W. Camelback, Suite 110, Phoenix, AZ. 85015 Tel: (602) 242-7398



Þ  Other locations in the US:



Þ  Obtain Passport: 

Þ  If you don’t have one, you need one.  By Dec. 31, ’07, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada — plus Bermuda and Panama — will be required to have a passport to enter or re-enter the United States.


Þ  After Dec. 31, ‘07, the requirement will be extended to all land-based border crossings as well. Suggest you apply now as it is after the heavy travel season and it becomes a fairly quick process. Wait till spring and it slows to a crawl due to so many applying.


Þ  For a list of post offices, town clerk's offices and other facilities where passports are processed, type in your zip code at  there are more than 7,700 US locations.


Þ  Coordinating Instructions:  The specific instructions and tasks that apply to two of more. 


Þ  ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS:  This paragraph contains information or instructions pertaining to rations; corpsman, and aid station; and other administrative and supply matters.


Þ  Rations and messing:  

o   Number 7, Diane known as JEO-Cookie, your assignment will be to analyze the route and determine if and when and where we have any group meals.  Then assign folks to bring  ‘A’ or ‘B’ rations as required for the meal.  Then when the group meal comes around I will need you to coordinate time, folks to cook, clean and pull KP (Kitchen Police) duty as required.


o   You will assign personnel as needed to the following:

§  DRO  (dining room orderly) this person(s) job will be to insure that there is knives/forks/spoons/paper towels, necessary condiments as required to support the meal served.


§  Cook(s) as needed to prepare the group meal


§  Pots ‘n Pans person(s) will clean up cookware


§  Outside person(s) their job will be too gather up trash and left over food stuffs either for retention or garbage and they will dispose of trash at the soonest disposal unit


Þ  Medical Support:  

o   MADDOG, is in charge of all Class VIII items*** and conduct of medical needs and services.  Your tent will be the official JEO Aid and Support Station (JEO-ASS) and all members who get sick or just sick of will report to you for diagnoses.  You will be known as the JEO-DOC (Diagnoses and Ongoing Care).


o   ***Class VIII items are medical supplies except for personal hygiene items


Þ  COMMAND AND SIGNAL:  The command group consists of myself, Russ Chung, Mike Fissel:


o   Command:  The CP (Command Post) with be with me, Don Pryor, or in the event of my absence, Russ Chung, or in the event of both of our absences, Mike Fissel


o   Signal.  Primary inter-expedition commo will be by use of CB radios set to channel 4.  Mike Fissel will handle all non-CB communications and set the operating frequency for the HAM radio support.  Sam White will also provide HAM support and coordinate with Mike for all non-CB communications to include SPOT and emergency commo.


Þ  Ham Radio/Repeaters/Licensing Info for Mexico:









Copyright 2005, '06 -  '17  All Rights Reserved.  17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC:                                                                                 SavageSun 4x4, SavageSun Engineering, SavageSun4x4 Expeditions, SavageSunJeep, BuddysBonz